Thursday, March 5, 2009

Learning something every day

People say that learning something new is good for the brain and the soul. Today I learned how to put the picture of our first crocuses on this blog. That builds on my learning to download the pictures from my camera to the computer. More brain power!

The signs of spring are appearing all over the yard. The pale blue crocuses in the picture opened today, as did a yellow one on the lawn slope. The daffodils are about 6 inches in the sunny areas, and four in the semi-shade. The grackles have reappeared to fight with the cardinals for seed on the deck banister. The air is warming up. We have renewal all around us if we are willing to take the time to look for it.

I read an interesting essay today about the politics of knitting; not political in the sense of democrats and republicans, but the politics of remembering who we are as a people. A call to remember we are creative and talented and capable of great things. It touched a nerve with me: I have frequently felt that my sewing/knitting/crocheting is undervalued; and that I am not the only person who finds it difficult to receive a living wage for my work. I cannot count the times my work has been referred to as "homemade". In a sense it is-I work in my home. But I prefer the term "handcrafted" because I am a craftswoman with many years of experience and because I hold myself to a very high standard for my work. It will be interesting to see how this resurgence of handcrafting arts plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment