Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year

This is definitely not an original title to a post, but I'm not concerned about it. I have not been in blogland for many months, the last few months of 2011 were not particularly healthy for us and blogland was just one more thing I had to think about.

So, to briefly summarize, the eldercare issues in Ohio continue; my father-in-law's wife was moved to a care center in September, and though she knows it is not "home" it is a much better environment for her. She receives much more stimulation on a daily basis, and is allowed to manage as much on her own as she can. This is tremendously difficult for my father-in-law, but he is coping. We have not been in Cleveland as often as previous months as Lou's health took a couple of hits in September and October with three trips to Emergency resulting in two hospitalizations. I was set to go to London to help Sarah start packing to come home, and to visit as I had never been there before. Lillian came in from AZ to stay with her father when he was released from the hospital, otherwise I wouldn't have gone.

England was amazing. I still can't easily talk about the impression the country made on me. All the years of studying England and literature bound up in places I thought I would never see. Seeing an original First Folio and Canterbury Tales were only the starting points! Seeing Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, London--we packed a lot of walking into two weeks.

The new year brings the usual thoughts about "what should I do differently?" This year I'm not making resolutions because they get broken so easily. I am making goals which gives me the opportunity to work on meeting them. Some of the goals I am setting have a lot to do with myself and finding "me time'-time to read, sew, crochet. I need to rededicate myself to self-improvement; like losing a few pounds and starting an exercise program. The kids got me a Fitbit and it's been a fabulous tool to watch the downloads track everything from steps to stairs to activity periods. It's definitely helped me move a little more-not enough, but more. I'm setting a goal to stay in better contact with my online friends. You don't know how much your support has meant to me over these last few years through my surgery, Lou's health concerns, the eldercare issues.... I wish I could gather you all in for a huge hug.

So, as I sit and smell wonderful aromas from the kitchen as Sarah and Lou prepare dinner, I can think again how lucky I am to have a family who likes to cook!

I'll try and post more often to remind myself that there are people "out there" who are interested in what I'm doing and thinking about!

I wish you all a happy new year, and may you enjoy good health and happiness.

San-Dee

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to see you back online.
    I hope 2012 is good to us all.
    no time to write now but I wanted to tell you hi!

    hugs
    beebee

    I think it is great that you got to go to England! Glad you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete