Thursday, February 10, 2011

Schedule, what schedule?

I am usually very good about keeping to a schedule, and I have realized that January got away from me because I did not make a schedule. I think I am losing February for the same reason. I usually use these very cute daily log sheets, and fill them out on Sunday night for the week. The problem is that I have a new planner for this year, and my old sheets do not fit it. So, my immediate goal on Monday is to use the sizing feature on the copier at work to get the size I need so I can get some control back in my life.

A few things to report: I turned 60 three weeks ago and the world, as we know it, did not end. This is not surprising because I have it on the authority of my cousin and a few friends who shall remain nameless but are OLDER than me that the world does not end because we get older. We do, however, get to blame everything on being old, so I now have an escape clause.

More importantly, after three months of recuperation and a few other medical detours, my husband, Lou, went back to work at the office yesterday. He has been telecommuting since surgery, but this is the first time he went down to the District and into his office. He did well, no mishaps on Metro with anyone stepping on his foot, no tripping or anything. He will still be using a cane for stability for a while, but he's mobile again in a very good way. He will probably be on a combination telecommute/office schedule as he cannot risk trying to go in if there is snow or the possibility of ice he could slip on.

Even more importantly, he has resumed ownership of the kitchen! The Os will be eating well again, and thank G-d I don't have to cook anymore. These last few months while he couldn't stand/cook have proved again that he definitely did not marry me for my skills in the kitchen..... I think he is secretly happy to be in control again, and I will offer to do the clean-up for everything until he is 100% again-a bargain as far as I am concerned.

My guild had a lesson in fabric postcards today, something I have seen popping up on sewing blogs for a while now. I did not get to make one there as I was really late due to a doctor's appointment, but I have a sheet of directions and some very cute fabric scraps to play with.

Speaking of the doctor, Dr. Raj is still very happy with my progress, and if all is well at my next appointment, I will move on to the six month review schedule. It will be right after my two year surgery date anniversary. I will be ready. My reconstructed breasts seem to have "settled" into their own, and as Dr. Raj says, it looks like I will be "eternally perky"-not in a "nubile" so much as a "mature you'd never know you went braless most of the 60s" sort of way. It really doesn't matter, what matters is that I am cancer free.

The girls are doing well. Lill is working on her research with the next conference in view, and has taken up yoga along with the other exercising she does to stay healthy. She really likes it and it sounds like it definitely is a good addition to her regime. Sarah is getting ready to go on her class trip to China. The itinerary is fairly rigorous and they will be seeing all kinds of examples of the things they have been studying.

Okay, off to organize the table for dinner later. It's good to be back writing.

3 comments:

  1. What a great post San-Dee, in every way..! It sounds like life is returning to better than normal. My life didn't end last year either and I'm just coming to terms with writing the six oh number when asked my age..
    Lizzie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SanDee
    I am so happy to hear that Lou is able return to work and that life seems to be back to normal for ya'll.
    I have been spending time in my sewing room...I rearranged it and organized my fabric. I even tried my hand at putting in a zipper to make a little purse...
    I am on a new med for my RA..the Humira was not working like it should after 16 weeks my dr said we needed to find something else. I am now on Symponi(spelling?) it is a once a month injection. took the first one on Sunday last weekend and I seem to be doing better! I am praying that this is the one.
    hope things continue to be good for you!
    beebee

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to hear life didn't end at sixty as I will be turning that magical age in November. I have been dreading it so much and it was good news to hear you made the leap without damage.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete