Thursday, March 25, 2010

Helping Hand

I have this really good friend from work, Angie. It's funny because her mom and I are the same age.....but, Angie has been the lifesaver who has helped when we needed someone to stay with the dogs, who drove up to Providence with me to move Lill from one apartment to another (in a snow storm), and who gladly goes to the fabric store whenever the desire strikes us. Like today, she called and asked if I was available because she needed to pick her gram up from the adult daycare center; usually she know beforehand and arranges her day, but today she got a call during the work day. I picked her up at work, we made a quick stop at G Street Fabrics-quick for us when we spend less than $50 each-then a quicker stop at the Jo-Ann's near her house for the current copy of Apronology, then we picked up Gram. From there we took her out for dinner, then stopped for her meds, then I dropped them off and came home. It's rare that she asks for help, she's very self-sufficient. So, we had a great time, actually had the top down for a while before it clouded up. She never let us pay her for all the times she stayed with the dogs while we still had LuLu with us, even dealing with "bonbons" as LuLu's health began to fail. So, at Christmas time I got a great deal on a portable Kenmore sewing machine at Sears (her machine died and hadn't been replaced yet) and got it for her. I thought that was the end of it, but then in January-I might have mentioned it-she gave me a Kitchenaid mixer for my birthday-she had two, but I don't know the story behind that....

The gist of this ramble is that true friends are hard to find, but wonderful for the spirit and heart. If you have a few, nurture them and let them know they are important to you. and with the wonders of email and free long distance evening calling plans, remind those friends far away how much they mean to you. I do, and it warms my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment